Monday, June 27, 2011

What to Pack for College

Sorry I have been on hiatus these past few days! But I am back! And here is my post on what I think most should pack to College. My sister just moved into college and she of course had no idea what to pack so I just sent her my list that I used when I moved in last year! Now I know most of us are already in College, but this list could also be to just packing for moving to a new apartment or house!

Before packing anything I always go through my room, and through EVERYTHING (clothes, makeup, desk, accessories, etc) and take out anything I have not used in over a year or clothes that do not fit or anything like that! SO make sure to go through everything and take out stuff you never use, this will make packing ten times easier! After you go through everything now is the time to pack! If you’re  moving to a new place it is always good to have storage bins to pack things in! Especially in dorm or other small rooms! I think the best kind of storage containers are ones that can go under the bed or ones that can also go in the closet!
Now after you have bought your storage containers and you have some suitcases to pack thing its now deciding what to bring! So  have put my hole list into categories and sub categories of what you should bring!

Bath
Now some of us might have a communal bathroom where everyone on the floor shares the bathroom( if you do I am so sorry) but some of us might be lucky and actually have our own bathroom or share a bathroom with a roommate. But my recommendation for either situation is for one to buy a shower caddy!
This is perfect to hold everything and bring stuff to and back from the shower!
Bath Towels (Try to buy all in one color so you don't mix it up with someone elses!)
Hair Dryer
Curling/Flat Iron
Hand Towels
Mirror (great for back of door)
Soap
Toothbrush and Paste
Hair brush
Hair Accessories
Make up 
Deodorant
Moisturizer and Lotion
Nail Polish and Remover
Hair Product
Q-Tips
Girl Stuff (We all know what I mean ;) )
Facial Wipes 
Razor and Shaving Cream
Face Wash
Bandaids
Now while there is the shower caddy for  all the stuff to bring to the shower, we all need a place to store our makeup ad hair items, and while living in a dorm there really is not a vanity and I just do not like people I might not know snooping through my stuff, so my mom actually got me this great storage device that holds all my makeup, blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron, and all the miscellaneous stuff! 

Clothing
Belts
Dress clothes
Hats
Jacket (The Dorms can get really cold)
Boots (Rain or snow or both!)
Jeans
Pajamas
Purses 
Laundry Bag/Hamper
Hangers
Laundry Detergent (you'll need quarters too, lots of them)
Shirts
Shoes (All you wear plus a few dressy and workout)
Shorts
Socks
Swim Suits
Shirts
Underwear
Workout Clothes (Your norts of course!)
Jewelry 
It is great to store these in the main organizers and only hang clothes in the closet that will get wrinkled, also most dorms come with dressers so you don't have to worry about buying those! A great thing to store jewelry is a Jewelry Organizer
I found mine on Amazon and it holds everything, and I can see it!

Bed
Bed sheets (check to see what your bed size will be)
Blankets
Comforter
Mattress Pad (A TRUE necessity)
Pillows and pillow cases
Target has some great cute college size bedding that can fit in any dorm!

Electronics
Cables for computer (you might need an ethernet cable to connect to internet) 
Flash Drive
Printer and paper
Chargers (Laptop, cable, ipod, phone, etc)
Surge protectors
Alarm Clock (Mine plays and charges my ipod! Got it from Target! Perfect!)
Lamps
Television
Refrigerator (Your dorm might not have one!)
Fan (Sometimes it gets too hot!, especially in the Summer!)

Study Supplies
Back pack (Vera Bradley has some great ones right now! Try there Laptop Backpack,and if you call the Outlet Stores they can ship it to you for just $8 plus the $69 price and plus tax!)
Calculator
Folders
Binders
Paper
Spiral Notebooks
Highlighters
Index Cards 
Pens
Paper Clips
Stapler
Pencils
Ruler
Scissors
Tape 
Waste basket 
White-out
Calendar (A Whiteboard one is perfect!)
Planner (Schools usually give them out to Freshmen, but Lilly has got some really cute ones!)
Three hole punch
Markers

Target and Wal-Mart are great places for all of these!

Kitchen
If you are living with roommates its always good to find him or her on Facebook before to see what stuff he or she wants to bring and what stuff you should bring! Also it is good to know if you have a kitchenette or not! But here is a list of what you should bring and if it has a * next to it then it is for a room with a kitchenette!
Can/Bottle Opener
Coffee Maker
Microwave
Silverware
Plates and bowls (Plastic)
Plastic Bags
Food Containers*
Cups (plastic)
Paper towels 
Water filter
Cooking utensils*
Pots and Pans*
Strainer*
Cutting board*

Try Target or Ikea for all this!

Miscellaneous
This is just random stuff so I did not want to have so many categories so here just a bunch of random stuff that popped into my head!
Area rug (Adds flair to the dorm)
Chair
Photos
Posters
Stuffed animals 
Asprin
Decongestants
Vitamins
Tide to Go
Batteries (Some AA and AAA)
Blow up mattress (if friends come to visit!)
Movies
Flashlight
Safety Pins
Sewing Kit
Sunglasses 
Umbrella

Okay I think that is all I can think of! Its a pretty long list! But trust me this will just help so you won't have to think about it later! If you have any questions feel free to ask or let me know! Plus if you have any suggestions let me know as well! I bought most of my stuff at Target ( Great college section), Ikea, Wal-Mart, and Amazon! 

There will be a new post tomorrow on the possibilities of a  giveaway! :)

XOXO









6 comments:

  1. Great list! I wish I had this when I was packing for school. I would add that those egg mattress pads are not very good quality. I would advise everyone to a little more and get a down alternative one :) xoox

    http://annicabenning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah definitely! I got the temperpedic one, so much better!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have everything covered!

    ReplyDelete